It’s the New Year! I love putting this post together every year. It gives me a chance to reflect on the events of the year and to prepare for the upcoming year. 2021 was a good year for me and much better than 2020.
My 2021 Highlight Reel
As usual, here’s my highlight reel from the past year.
- Had some memorable meals, including Uchi, Otoko, and Lutie’s
- Survived Winter Storm Uri
- Took 12 flights
- Traveled to: Telluride, Colorado; Orlando, Florida; Big Island, Hawaii; and Costa Rica
- Skied some green slopes in Colorado
- Dove with manta rays and tiger sharks in Hawaii (eight dives)
- Dove in a new country – Costa Rica (two dives)
- Experienced an incredible stargazing night
- Spent three weekends at the lake/river in Texas
- Got some very important shots
- Started working out at Orange Theory Fitness and made it to 50+ classes
- Got a work promotion
- Hosted two parties
- Learned to play pickleball
- Got new eyeglasses for the first time in 10 years
- Read 40 books
- Kept a fluffle of baby bunnies alive after their mama birthed them in our backyard
- Saw Chvrches in concert for the second time
- Successfully got through a year of no new clothes
- Grew a very small garden (figs, eggplant, jalapeno, shishito, rosemary, basil, cilantro, mint)
- Helped my sunflowers bloom and my houseplants thrive
- Celebrated Kaira’s second birthday and got through ear infections and allergies
- Repped Austin Marathon as an ambassador
- Tried lots of great beer at the Texas Craft Brewers Festival
- Collaborated with some foodie bloggers on this post
- Made 119 bottles of kombucha
- Spent New Year’s Eve in another country for the first time (counted down next to a bonfire on the beach in the rain in Costa Rica)
- Partnered with some fun brands, including Hopdoddy, Tiff’s Treats, Still Austin, Kitchen United Mix, Ranch2O, Fitzhugh Brewing, Hotel Granduca, Fierce Whiskers, Blue Genie Art Bazaar
- Published 55 blog posts on Fearless Captivations
Favorite Things I Ate This Year
So many great things! Sushi was a common theme. Check out this post.
Shows I Watched and Recommend
- The Great
- Only Murders in the Building
- Home Economics
- The Flight Attendant
- Never Have I Ever
- Sex Education
Songs On Repeat
- Chvrches’ new album, Screen Violence, especially the songs
- He Said, She Said
- How Not to Drown
- Good Girls
- Shivers by Ed Sheeran
- It’s time to go by Taylor Swift
- Willow by Taylor Swift
- Long story short by Taylor Swift
- Wild Life by OneRepublic
- Wrecked by Imagine Dragons
- Ghost by Justin Beiber
- Hookup scene by Kacey Musgraves
- Simple times by Kacey Musgraves
- Justified by Kacey Musgraves
- Wouldn’t Come Back by Trousdale
- You Should Probably Leave by Chris Stapleton
- You by Troye Sivan
- Anyone by Demi Lovato
- Way Less Sad by AJR
- Unlearn by Benny Blanco and Gracie Abrams
- Let Somebody Go by Coldplay and Selena Gomez
- Shy Away by Twenty One Pilots
- THATS WHAT I WANT by Lil Nas X
- Roll over, baby by LANY
- Wishful Drinking by Ingrid Andress and Sam Hunt
- If I Could by Charlotte Day Wilson
My Favorite and Most Popular Blog Posts
- I Tried 5 Non-Alcoholic Hopped Drinks – Here’s My Favorite
- Telluride Ski Trip Travel Guide
- Where to Eat Chinese Dumplings in Austin
- Eating Sushi Chef’s Tasting at Uchi Austin
- Stargazing on the Mauna Kea Summit on Hawaii Big Island is a Must-Do!
- Best Asian Desserts in Austin
- Most Inspiring Travel Experiences in the Last Decade of Adventures
In last year’s recap, I reflected that 2020 was a year of unrest, but looking back on it now, it was also a year of destruction. (Do you know about the cycle of years?) 2020 was about being thrown into discomfort, uneasiness, and the unknown. Because of that, I went right into destruction by shifting my habits, my thoughts, and my desires. I slowed down. I looked within and started to create a world that aligns with what I want. That meant creating time to reflect, getting outside more, and becoming more low/zero waste in my consumption. That continued to a year of growth.
Looking back, my 2021 can be summed up with the word “home.” I continued to create a physical place that I love and it has a lot of houseplants! 😀 And I am learning how to come home to myself – to listen to my intuition and to recognize my dreams.
2021, I am so thankful for you. You were gracious and abundant. Thank you for giving me the space, patience, and insight to evolving into this version of myself.
This year will be one of big love and wild magic – compassion and spirituality. The growing and simplifying will continue. The last few years have really helped create healthy habits, like making dinner at home the majority (if not all) weeknights, eating very healthy (few processed snacks and sugary drinks), drinking alcohol only on the weekends, going to bed by 9 pm, taking a walk in the morning, and finding ways to learn. This year will be about fine-tuning and finding ways to insert adventure.
Here are some of the goals I want to accomplish this year. I admit, most years I don’t accomplish even half of my list, but making goals gives me direction and reminds me to focus on progress, not perfection.
- Finish and publish posts about Hawaii and Costa Rica
- Complete a 30-day yoga challenge
- Cook a new Chinese dish every month
- Volunteer six times
- Read 50 books
- Read for 30 minutes every day
- Spend 3 hours writing every week
- Meditate for 10 minutes every day
I look forward to sharing some exciting blog content with you this year! If you have ideas and curiosities, feel free to send them to me.
I hope you have big dreams and plans for the year! I am sending you big love for a successful year, whatever you want it to look like. Here we go!
What’s on your to-do list this year?