For the 5th Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, I combined my favorite cookie ingredients – caramel, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips – into one super cookie. You could call it indecisiveness or gluttony. All I say is ‘why not?’ You’re going to love this recipe because this chewy cookie gives you rich, buttery, and bittersweet flavors that perfectly blend sweet and salty.
You can easily adjust the caramel, chocolate chip and butterscotch chip ratios to your liking. I found that the ratios of caramel and butterscotch chips I used in the recipe ensured those rich and buttery flavors weren’t overpowering.
I was excited to participate in my first Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap with 475 other food bloggers around the world! This year was the 5th annual of the event. I received the names of three different bloggers to send a dozen cookies to and I received a dozen cookies from three different bloggers. All participation donations were given to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, a non-profit organization fighting against pediatric cancer. It was so fun receiving and opening up my cookie packages and the cookies disappeared very quickly after opening. Also, thank you to OXO, Dixie Crystals and Land O’Lakes for being brand partners of the event, for matching the donations of the cookie swap, and for sending bonus goodies to help make my cookies!
I’m craving more of these cookies, so it looks like my family and friends are going to enjoy them this holiday season!
Salted Caramel Chocolate and Butterscotch Chip Cookies
Makes 40 cookies
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup salted caramel sauce (I used Ree Drummond’s recipe)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
Coarse sea salt (optional, to finish)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars together at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla. Scrape down bowl as needed.
- Lower speed of mixer and mix in caramel sauce until incorporated.
- Mix in fine sea salt and baking soda until combined.
- Mix in the flour.
- Fold in chocolate and butterscotch chips gently.
- Scoop cookies into 1 tablespoon and place two inches apart on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes, until golden. It will be soft on the inside.
- Remove from oven and let rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cookies with coarse sea salt.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Want more cookie inspiration? Check out #fbcookieswap on Instagram. Happy baking this holiday!